[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:49:37 +0200, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dean Edwards wrote:
>> The point is that there is room for all of these methods for
>> retrieving DOM nodes. As there is no useful existing standard let's
>> add stuff that people actually want instead of referring them to
>> vapour ware.
>
> I guess the question is "why bother with getElementByClassName if a full
> getElementByCSSSelector-type method is available"?. Possible answers
> would include speed and ease of use but I'm not sure either applies here.

"adding stuff people want instead of referring them to vapourware" isn't a
very clear distinction. Since both are currently vapourware, it would be
helpful to ahve some rational basis for determining that one is desired
and another is not. Like James, I so far don't see that in this discussion.

cheers

Chaals

   hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com