[whatwg] [WebForms2] custom form validation notifications

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:44:58 +0300
On Oct 9, 2006, at 01:32, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> As UAs become more sophisticated, they can analyze the pattern
> attribute and present more context-sensitive error messages than
> any such attribute could. For example:
> *   "410 is too much; this number must be 300 or less."
> *   "178 is too small; this number must be 200 or more."
> *   "This field must start with a letter."
>
> UAs can also localize these error messages much more extensively
> than any Web site could (which will be even more of a benefit when
> the Web site is not in your preferred language).

No offense intended, but "As UAs become more sophisticated, they can
analyze??" generally indicates a problem.

I believe that the above can work for min and max. However, expecting
user-friendly natural language descriptions of regular expressions
(in multiple natural languages!) to emerge "as UAs become more
sophisticated" is in the realm of expecting future AI-complete magic
software to fix things. In general, that's not a good assumption to
make.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi