[whatwg] HTML syntax: shortcuts for 'id' and 'class' attributes

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 01:15:56 -0500
On 12/1/06, Andrew Fedoniouk <news at terrainformatica.com> wrote:

> Can this be considered as enough backward compatible ?

No. Try this rule of thumb: don't invent anything unless you
absolutely have to, or you're giving a name to something that is
already happening.

The suggestions above are basically personal preference. I might pick
your method if I were inventing the Web, but TBL beat us to the punch.
Now we're stuck.

There are billions and billions and billions of web pages out there,
and most of them work in all common browsers. Trying to change them
into something else is like serving tea in front of a tidal wave.

--

Robert Sayre