[whatwg] Inferring rel="feed" from the media type

On 11/30/06, Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen at peda.net> wrote:
> How about introducing a new rel keyword: nonfeed?

I just suggested that on the Atom lists.

>Then one could say
> rel="alternate nonfeed" and it would be clear that referenced URL
> contains an alternative representation that is not a feed.

Well, that wouldn't work because agents would still pick out
"alternate" and the media type and infer "subscribability" from that.
"alternate" would have to be left off.  Hence my (somewhat) serious
suggestion of "alternate-non-feed".

But yah, I think that's a decent way forward.  I'm still not convinced
that the harmful practice of inferring rel="feed" is beyond the point
of no return, but nobody's chiming in to agree with me, and I don't
have the time to do the necessary implementer-herding myself, so oh
well.

Mark.