[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:10:10 -0500
On 11/29/06, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> Anyway, as Lachlan already pointed out, whether or not the useless
> slash should be allowed on elements whose content model is empty is
> not an issue of technical damage to parsing interoperability but
> about damage to the mental model of confused authors. So the cost to
> consider is the cost of the confusion.

Hmm, I've found the explanations most unsatisfactory so far. The tone
is dismissive, pedantic, and dogmatic... though I agree with the
goals.

Perhaps it would be better to prove that the current rules result in
easy explanations. What would the text of a bug filed on WordPress
look like? Let's assume you actually want them to fix it, not just
make a point.

--

Robert Sayre