[whatwg] Rel alternate, stylesheet and feed

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> The spec defines special handling for rel="alternate stylesheet", but
> also defines that "alternate" with type="application/atom+xml" or
> type="application/rss+xml" implies the "feed" relationship.  Does this
> represent an alternate stylesheet, a syndication feed or both?

If "alternate" and "stylesheet" are both specified, the "alternate"
keyword doesn't imply "feed", because "the rest of this subsection doesn't
apply" if it says both. So "feed" isn't implied.

In the case of "alternate stylesheet feed", the <link> element creates a
hyperlink link (for feed) and an external resource link (for "stylesheet"
and "alternate"). The feed would "the feed for the current document",
though, since both "feed" and "alternate" are included.

> <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="application/atom+xml" href="/feed"
> title="Blog Entries">
>
> Firefox 2 and IE7 recognised it as a feed.  Opera 9 and and Safari 2 didn't.
>
> (Though it should be noted that Opera and Safari have trouble with any
> other value specified with alternate, not just stylesheet).

We could change this... it just seems bad, given how many pages use both
those keywords together (even if few also have the type).