[whatwg] The IMG element, proposing a CAPTION attribute

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:37:36 +0600
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:27:31 +0600, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

>> <label for="fig1" type="title">...</label>

> <label> is not good, because it is reasonable to style form control
> labels the way the platform styles labels, but the styling may not be
> appropriate for figure captions. Also, the for attribute is now
> supposed to refer to a form control.

I agree that reusing <label> can cause problems, so I'd like to find a brand new name, too.

> I think it is better to introduce a <figcaption> or something than to
> confuse what <label> is.

I don't like <figcaption> for two reasons. First, it contains the word "caption" while I propose using the new element in "title", "alt", and "label" roles at least. Second, it contains the word "figure", but I think this can be more generic and work for other elements which have %Text attributes.

Maybe <title-text>, <alt-text> and <label-text> for each of the three purposes?