[whatwg] Custom elements and attributes

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:15:27 -0500
Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Authors who check their pages using a conformance checker would be
> alerted to the error.  A typical browser can't do that (at least not by
> default) because the average user just doesn't care or need to know
> about such errors.

That's not true. A typical browser absolutely can and certainly should
alert users to bugs in the pages, and the TAG finding I cited explains
why and how. Optional recourse to external validators is not sufficient,
as the current state of the web proves. *Silent* error recovery from
incorrect metadata is potentially dangerous. It is rightly discouraged.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!