[whatwg] Table integrity and conformance

On Nov 10, 2006, at 02:12, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2006, at 16:21, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/mid/op.tfl2fqwu64w2qv at id-c0020.oslo.opera.com

>> WHOA! How on earth did that end up in a CSS WG draft in general
>> and in the CSS 2.1 draft in particular?
>
> Easy: it didn't get removed.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#q7

I hope that the CSS WG accepts Anne's objection and defines rendering
in a browser-compatible way.

For the table integrity checker I implemented what browsers do: A
cell slides to the right until there's a free slot for its top left
corner. If the cell spans multiple columns and overlaps with a cell
still in effect from an earlier row, it is an error, but doesn't
cause the cell to move further to the right. Since browsers
interoperate, I think it would be a bad idea to change this behavior.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/