[whatwg] The IMG element, proposing a CAPTION attribute

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:41:08 -0500
Jeff Seager wrote:

> A better way would be to semantically attach the caption or cutline to
> the image itself, so its display is paired naturally. In this way, the
> width of the cutline would be dictated (unless overruled in the
> stylesheet) by the width of the image. I'm suggesting that CAPTION be
> adopted as a new attribute of the IMG element, as it is already for the
> TABLE element.

I don't think caption should be an attribute, an element maybe, but not
an attribute.

The problem is that captions can and do have substructure. For instance,
a caption might include multiple emphasized or strongly emphasized
sections. Attributes just aren't powerful enough for this.

Given that, I suspect we're probably better off just using regular
paragraphs in text with appropriate CSS instructions rather than
introducing a new element.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!