[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:30:39 -0500
Le 6 nov. 2006 ? 12:32, Sander Tekelenburg a ?crit :

> Another thing is that whether the annotation should be considered a
> footnote,
> endnote or whateverelsenote seems to me a presentational issue, so
> I'm not
> that enthusiastic about calling it a <footnote> element. Why not
> simply
> <annotation>? You can then allow the author to decide where in the
> page, or
> in a group of pages, to place the <annotation> element, and use CSS
> for the
> presentational aspects. (You could allow the same with <foonote>,
> but that
> name suggest it must only be used for footnotes.)

I agree that it's a problem with the name <footnote>. On the other
side, <annotation> makes me think of something the user added in the
margin, while <footnote> better evoke the complementary relation a
footnote has with the text.

While I prefer <footnote>, I think both can do fine.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/