[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

?istein E. Andersen wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2006, at 2:53AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>
>> The URL timed out when I tried to use [Sivonen's] validator
>
> You may want to try the following (the results seem to be similar):
>     http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcafe.elharo.com%2Fweb%2Fmokka%2F

Thanks. Most of the errors that page reports are a result of third
party, ad network code. This is exactly the sort of problem draconian
error handling would have fixed. Were draconian error handling the order
of the day, the network wouldn't be serving malformed code like that. I
did go ahead and fix the malformedness problem. I'm not sure if I can
fix the validity issue without breaking things. I'll check.

There are also several false positives in that report. Apparently, the
genuine errors cause the validator enough problems that it loses track
of the start and end-tags and can't properly match them up though libxml
can:

$ xmllint --valid --noout http://cafe.elharo.com/web/mokka/
http://cafe.elharo.com/web/mokka/:263: element ul: validity error :
Element ul content does not follow the DTD, expecting (li)+, got (li li
style script li li li li li li )
                 </ul>
                      ^

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu