[whatwg] getElementsByClassName() idea

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:54:06 +1100
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> I think this hasn't been suggested before. Perhaps the method should
> accept a DOMTokenString as argument instead of an array. This allows
> things like ele.getElementsByClassName(ele.className) etc.

Since a DOMTokenString just extends DOMString, anything that accepts a
DOMString will automatically be able to accept a DOMTokenString,
including getElementsByClassName.  So your example will already work.
Conversely, if it were defined as accepting a DOMTokenString, you
couldn't pass it a regular string.

> The only problem is how to get a DOMTokenString without first getting
> className from somewhere. Perhaps it should be a constructor as well.
> 'x = new DOMTokenString("aaa bbb")'

That might be useful.  Though, I can't think of any specific use cases
for needing it other than for class names.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/