[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html (Was: MathML-in-HTML5)

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:11:00 -0500
Paul Topping wrote:
> Elements whose namespaces aren't known should be handled like any other
> unknown HTML element. I believe the common way for user agents to handle
> an unknown element is basically to ignore the tag and its attributes and
> treat any text between start and end tags as if the tags weren't there.
> Namespaces do not present any new challenge in this area.

Yes, that's accurate; but there is new opportunity here. CSS, XSLT, and
JavaScript present the option to specify styling for unknown elements,
in the same or different namespaces.

Must-ignore could become "Must-ignore unless the stylesheet says not
to". I'm not sure if this is really a good idea or not, but I for one
would find it very useful and make heavy use of it.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!