[whatwg] 9.2.2: replacement characters. How many?

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 06:52:17 -0500
Section 9.2.2 of the current Web Apps 1.0 draft states:

Bytes or sequences of bytes in the original byte stream that could not
be converted to Unicode characters must be converted to U+FFFD
REPLACEMENT CHARACTER code points.

I'm concerned about the "or". For example, suppose there are six upper
halves of a Unicode surrogate pair in a row and no lower halves. Does
that turn into six replacement characters or one? Both interpretations
seem possible.

I suppose I prefer six rather than one, but I don't care a great deal as
  long as this is locked down one way or the other.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!