[whatwg] [HTML5] 3.10.9. The |abbr| element

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:59:23 +0000
Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Abbreviation expansions should only be supplied when they help the
> reader to understand the content, not just because the word happens to
> be an abbreviation.

I agree, unless using <abbr> with no title is useful to get the correct
rendering of abbreviations in non-visual media. I guess e.g. aural browsers must
cope with rendering of abbreviations like PET and DNA without needing explicit
markup, but I think knowing this sort of thing is important in determining the
wording of the spec.