[whatwg] XHTML5 DOM building and IDness

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 01:11:10 +0200
The spec says:
> The rules for parsing XML documents (and thus XHTML documents) into
> DOM trees are covered by the XML and Namespaces in XML
> specifications, and are out of scope of this specification.

However, the spec says the following about the id attribute:
> If the value is not the empty string, user agents must associate
> the element with the given value (exactly) for the purposes of ID
> matching (e.g. for selectors in CSS or for the getElementById()
> method in the DOM).

The second quote implies that the first quote is not the full story
and building a DOM tree from an XHTML document byte stream is not
entirely covered by the XML and Namespaces in XML specifications but
there is a piece of code somewhere between the XML processor and the
resulting DOM tree that is analogous to an xml:id processor and that
assigns IDness to attributes that are not in a namespace, have the
local name "id" and belong to elements in the XHTML namespace.

(When I started looking for spec justification for adding a filter
that assigns IDness on the SAX level, I didn't find explicit
justification--just the implicit justification from the second quote
that seems to contradict a strict reading of the first quote.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/