[whatwg] Side effects free scripts

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:10:38 +0700
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:25:38 +0700, Andrew Fedoniouk <news at terrainformatica.com> wrote:

>> So, determining if a function is side effect free needs to be done
>> while that function is run.

(1)

> Exactly! So to run such function in runtime you need sandbox each time.
> Quod erat demonstrandum.

(2)

I don't see how (2) follows from (1). No, you can't verify whether a script is side effects free until runtime. But no, you don't need a sandbox either. You only need a special mode for the script interpreter, like a global boolean flag, which prohibits several types of actions listed in my initial mail.