[whatwg] Side effects free scripts

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> I propose to define the notion of "side effect free script". All
> browsers which allow scripts in declarations like CSS should only allow
> side effect free scripts in such places.

I think this is a very good idea. I hope it can be achieved.

> When a script thread is in side effect free mode:
>
> 1. It stays in this mode until the thread completes.
>
> 2. It can call any non-native function, but the same restrictions apply.
>
> 3. It cannot assign any variables except locals.
>
> 4. It cannot call any native function except those specifically marked
> by the spec as side effects free. For example, sin() is side effects
> free, and window.open() is not.
>
> 5. It can read any property that can be normally read.
>
> 6. It cannot assign any property for which a native setter function is
> used.

Ok, here you make it clear that with side effects you only mean visible
side effects? It seems you are fine with setting properties of
non-native javascript objects.

> 7. It cannot create new object instances except those specifically
> marked by the spec as side effects free. For example, RegExp is side
> effects free, and Image is not.

Creating an Image should be allowed. It might be needed for
measurements. Appending it to the document shouldn't.

> 8. Any attempt to break these restrictions should generate an exception.
>
> 9. Optionally, execution time limit may be imposed on the thread, so
> that it doesn't make the document unrenderable by running an endless
> loop inside CSS expression().

Javascript might already be too complex to achieve all this, but it
should certainly be investigated.

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/