[whatwg] Canvas and DOM elements

I disagree, for a number of reasons.

1. When an element is resized, the bitmap and context get re-initialized to
their default state. This doesn't happen in any other scenario, and I think
it would be non-obvious and difficult to work with. For example, if you draw
a custom bullet point, you wouldn't want to redraw it every time you resize
the element, since the actual graphic isn't changing size. Best practice
would evolve to discourage your suggested usage by always using a dedicated

2. It's much cleaner to keep all the canvas-related attributes and methods
together, without having to contaminate other DOM elements, that aren't
going to use them.

3. Your argument about placing graphics above and below other content seems
invalid. Since, <canvas> supports transparency, you could position it above
or below any other element, and get the same effect.

Peter