[whatwg] [HTML5] Named start values for lists?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:20:53 +0700, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> * Can it be defined and implemented in a way that avoids circular
>> references.  e.g.
>>   <ol id="part1" continue="part2"/>
>>   <ol id="part2" continue="part1"/>

> The obvious choice is to use source order i.e. the ID must be defined
> before the continuation in the source, otherwise the attribute is
> ignored. I don't know how hard this would be to implement though.

This raises a number of issues when DOM is manipulated by a script. For
example, what should happen if there is <ol continue="part1">, and then a
script inserts an <ol id="part1"> before that? Or the other way round? Or
when they are dynamically reordered?

>> * Which takes precedence out of <ol continue="part1" start="2"> and <li
>> value="3">?

> continue should take priority over start.

I'd rather say it should be the other way round. Here is a use case:

<ol id="part1">
   <li>Item 1</li>
   <li>Item 2</li>
</ol>
end of the list:</p>
<ol continue="part1" start="9">
   <li>Item 9</li>
   <li>Item 10</li>
</ol>

There is a gap in numbering, but still the fragments of the list are
linked together semantically.