[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:54:16 +0700, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>
>>>  One can also say that authors should not have explicit control over
>>> whether hyperlinks are underlined or not.
>
>> The difference is that underlining is presentation, spell checking is
>> not.  The functionality of a link cannot be changed with CSS, likewise
>> spell checking shouldn't either.
>
> Enabling or disabling spell checking doesn't change the functionality of
> an input.

While the core functionality of allowing the user to enter text isn't
changed, I'd consider spell checking to be part of the control's
functionality, and so disabling it would change the functionality for
the user.

> But misspelled words in an input with spellchecking enabled are
> underlined with a wavy red line (and the underlining style could even be
> changed by CSS), and that's presentation.

Arguably, yes, but allowing authors to alter the presentation of
misspelled words from the UAs default settings would only introduce
usability problems.  Users may not easily recognise any presentation set
by the author as representing a missplled word.  UAs may provide a way
for the user to set their preferred presentation using some UA-specific
means, but there's no need at all for the author to have any control
over it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/