[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Le 2 juin 2006 ? 9:21, James Graham a ?crit :

> White Lynx wrote:
>
>> So far people mentioned radicals and glyph shaping/kerning.
>
> Another obvious issue is stretchy characters like integral signs
> and brackets. Is the CSS model poerful enough to allow for this? If
> not, the mosel needs to improve.

I'm pretty sure that with SVG and CSS 3 border-image[1] it wouldn't
be too hard to have professional looking scalable radicals,
integrals, and brackets. Matrix would be taken care of by inline
table, faction with inline blocks.

What could prove a little harder is positioning of integral
endpoints, as well as lower and upper bounds of summation and product
symbols, without resorting to awkward markup.

But it'd certainly be a lot easier for browser implementors to add
some math-specific CSS properties for the missing parts than to
create a full MathML implementation.

  [1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-
border-image

Michel Fortin