[whatwg] [WebApps] Entity consumption

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:53:31 -0400, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, J. King wrote:
>>
>> There are two paragraphs at the end of section 8.2.1.1:
>>
>>  # When an end tag token is emitted, the content model
>>  # flag must be switched to the PCDATA state.
>>  #
>>  # When an end tag token is emitted with attributes,
>>  # that is a parse error.
>>
>> They don't seem to make sense in context; are they editing artefacts?
>
> No, they're intentional... why don't they make sense? They're additional
> requirements on the tokenisation step.

I was confused because I thought they belonged to section 8.2.1.1.  I see
now that they actually belong to 8.2.1, but it's kind of difficult to see
that at a glance---8.2.1.1 is so long that the indention gets pretty
lost.  Perhaps the 8.2.1.1 section should be after those two
paragraphs---or perhaps the two paragraphs should be moved to before the
list of parsing states.  The paragraphs seem to fit in better with the
more general nature of the beginning of the tokenization section, I think.

>> Also, the "anything else" (ie. named entities as opposed to character
>> references) case states:
>>
>>  # Consume the maximum number of characters possible,
>>  # with the consumed characters case-sensitively matching
>>  # one of the identifiers in the first column of the
>>  # entities table.
>>
>> It isn't quite clear from this what constitutes a consumable character
>> in this
>> context.  When looking at the table it's reasonably obvious that the
>> range is
>> [A-Za-z], but it might be helpful to have it stated in the main text.
>
> A consumable character is not a-z, it's only what matches things in that
> table. For example a "3" is consumable in this context, but only if it
> was
> preceeded by "sup" or "frac". Does that make sense?

Yes, it does.  Thanks.

--
J. King
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/