[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:07:54 +0600, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>>  This confirms the point that the classification of elements into
>> block-level and inline-level is just a convention not backed by a
>> semantic requirement.

> Of course it can be. What does:
> <abbr>
> <ul/>
> </abbr>
> mean?

OK, I'm not advocating for making things like this valid. But if I, being
a human and not a machine, saw this sequence in a real document, I would
think that the author is abusing <abbr> for presentational purposes and
that he probably intends that the visual effect of <abbr> should be
applied to the list and paragraph. So, if I was the renderer, I'd build
the following (invalid) DOM and render it appropriately:

ABBR
   UL

I think the machine should do something similar, though it should be, of
course, expressed as formal logic.

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>