[whatwg] validate attribute in <A>

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:14:07 +0600, Mike Hoye <mhoye at neon.polkaroo.net>
wrote:

> The validate attribute would describe an algorithm to employ and a result
> to compare it to; for example, somebody downloading the en-US version
> of FF 1.5 from the Mozilla.com homepage could click on a link like
>
> [a href="http://foo.com/mozilla-i686.tgz"
>  validate="{md5}b63fcdf4863e59c93d2a29df853b6046"]
>
> and the client could verify as it comes in that it does at least have
> the md5sum that's advertised.  User notifications could include "no
> validation", "successfully validated" and "failed validation", and act
> according to the user's wishes in each case.

This can only be useful on the pages like "Select a mirror to download the
file from". It should be made clear that this is not intended for
third-party authors referring to downloadable files, as direct links to
such files are not mirror-friendly.

Also, the user agent UI should make it clear when indicating a "valid"
download that the downloaded file is "considered valid by mozilla.com",
and not just "valid".

I think that another one, probably more useful, attribute for <a> should
be "filesize" or something like that. It would both serve for additional
validation (for example, there's no need to even start the download after
seeing a mismatching Content-Length header) and provide indication about
the file size for the user (the UA could even calculate the estimate
download time).

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>