[whatwg] Comment Syntax and Parsing

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Ignoring what is a conforming comment, is it safe to assume that comments
> should now be parsed roughly the same way as IE6 parses comments?

Not really. Sadly IE6's comment parsing is _really_ strange.

> I believe that other browsers parse comments as IE6 does in their quirks
> mode, so they could just use their quirks comment parsing code for
> standards mode aswell.

Nah, pretty much every UA has slightly different comment parsing, and many
of them suffer from the security problem I mentioned earlier today (the
one with the comment containing hostile script being exposed through a DOS
attack).

The comment parsing currently described in the HTML5 spec is quite simple
and easy to implement, thankfully.