[whatwg] <CENTER>, <MENU>, <DIR>, <NL>

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:21:40 -0800, Anne van Kesteren
<fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

>> <snip>
>
> You snipped the part about <div> not being in the proposal for HTML5
> which is
> pretty important imho.

I didn't realize that. I must have skimmed through pretty quickly. I
always assumed that <DIV> would be included, despite what everybody meant
to say.

>>> What would its semantics be as opposed to <div>? Do you have a
>>> concrete  proposal
>>> as how <center> would work?
>>
>> I don't think that it is semantic at all.
>
> That in itself is a reason not to include it.

I don't think that we can have a purely semantic markup language. If we
can't then there is no harm in suggesting non-semantic elements.

>> It's just that sometimes it  would save us some hassles of having to
>> type:

>> #intro{text-align:center}

> <center> does _very_ different things from what you just described.

I think that that was a typo. I meant:

#intro{text-align:center}

Hopefully I typed what I meant this time. What different things were you
referring to?

>> <DIR> could be used for listing files. If you want to print out the
>> files  of a directory and its subdirectories, then you could do that
>> with <DIR>.
>
> Well yeah, and what if I want to list vegetables? I think the element is
> specific and not really that useful.

There is no vegetable list, but there is <DIR>, and I figure that as long
as it's there, we should leave it as an option. We don't have to create a
element for every single concept, but I don't think that we should get rid
of any, as long as they are there and are properly defined.

I seem to get the impression that my suggestions are being categorized as
either "too specific" and "not semantic enough". It seems that I need to
improve my people skills.

> You were talking about consistency with XHTML. Yet there has been no
> recommendation or standard (whatever you prefer) that contains such an
> element so the argument is bogus.

Doesn't this count for something?
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:1ZSEeqx7LUwJ:www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml2-20020805/mod-list.html+html+nl+element&hl=en&client=opera

The first Google search that I did was for "html nl element", and the
result was on the first page.

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong