[whatwg] The <link> element and "display: meta"

At 10:20 +0100 UTC, on 2006-01-10, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>>    No they're not. They're implementations of the |rel| and |title|
>>> attributes.
>>
>> How? I don't see the HTML spec stating how rel or title attributes must be
>> presented.
>
> Well no, but neither would 'display:meta', right?

Well, not in minute detail, but it *would* indicate that the content should
be presented outside of the body. So yes, it would definitely say something
about how to present something.

Making the contents of a title attribute *accessible*, in any form, would be
an implementation of HTML. But the way that access is *presented* would be an
implementation of CSS.

> The HTML specification does
> define that they are there and that UAs can do something with them,
> like making
> them available to the end user. That you can also style the element based on
> those attributes is another thing.

Exactly.

> Even if I would show the <title> element using 'head, title { display:block
>}'
> it would still keep its semantics. With your proposal of 'display:meta' it
> would not I assume.

I don't see why something would lose its semantics simply by suggesting a
certain presentation. It would only change presentation, not meaning. A
navigation menu is still a navigation menu, whether it is presented
'in-body', or outside of it. Looks to me you can compare this with the
semantics of a title attribute not changing when it is presented in a "Status
Bar" or when it is is displayed as for example [title]:after {content: " ("
attr(title) ") "}.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>