[whatwg] After attribute name state

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The After attribute name state section[1] now says that the attribute
> value will be the empty string for "Anything else", which is not true in
> all cases. (I know it's WIP, and I know you know about this, but still.)
>
> Boolean attributes. <table border> is the same as <table border="1">,
> and contenteditable is the same as contenteditable="true" (at least in
> IE, not in Opera). There are probably some other exceptions aswell.
>
> [1] http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#after

Yeah... I'm still trying to work out how to handle these cases. I need to
compare cases like:

...as well as things like:

   setAttribute('border', null);

...and so forth, to work out exactly how UAs generally behave. (We know
that they don't really implement what HTML4 says, e.g. <input radio>
doesn't do the same as <input type="radio">.)

If we can get away with it, making <a b> always be exactly equivalent to
<a b=""> and setAttribute('b', '') would be ideal, as it would simplify a
lot of things. I've already sort of gone that route with attribute
definitions, e.g. saying that "the b attribute does bla when it is present
and bleh when it is not; if it is present it must have the value b", which
gives one set of criteria for UAs and one set of criteria for authors.