[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:24:51 +0600, Sander Tekelenburg
<tekelenb at euronet.nl> wrote:

> In a non-scientific manner, yes. I constantly see friends, family,
> clients, strangers, colleagues struggle to figure out how to navigate
> through sites they don't know yet.

A little offtopic: this isn't specific to navigation within a single web
site. I once noticed that my wife, who is a university student and
volunteers to maintain a simple informational web site for other students
in her group, makes external links from the site like this:

I asked: "Why are you doing this? Why don't you put something meaningful
inside <a> instead of repeating the URL?" And she said: "If they can see
the URL in the page body, they can memorize it or write it down [on paper]
in case they need to visit that page once more. I've seen people follow a
hyperlink, find that the linked resource is interesting, and then each
time they want to return to that resource, they would type the URL of the
site that has the link (if it luckily remains there) and follow the link."
I was shocked. This means that people don't know about bookmarks or find
them too hard to use.

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>