[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Brad Fults wrote:
>> I see this is still an open issue[1]. Is this now implemented as #1
>> (space-delimited class names to match)?
>>
>> I suggest either going with the space-delimited approach (as it's
>> language-agnostic and well-defined at least) or with Aankhen's
>> suggestion of a single array argument.
>
> Musing...
>
> If you have:

> which should be picked up by getElementsByClassName("foo bar")?

this also raises the possibility of some confusion as the order of
inheritance is important:

foo
{
    color: red;
}

bar
{
    color: blue;
}

in the quoted example Fred and Wilma would be blue and barney red. so
the distinction between class="foo bar" and class="bar foo" is real, not
merely syntactic. a search for "foo" should pick up either but a search
for "foo bar" should only find the first, so IMO a comma seperated list
would be better in that respect:

1. getElementsByClassName("foo bar,foo tang,woo tang")

this use of explicit class matching could, however be considered an
"advanced" use of the function, with emphasis on the simpler:

2. getElementsByClassName("bar,tang")

as an aside this then yields another level of even more complex
behavioural possibilities:

3. getElementsByClassName("foo>bar")

though in this example the ClassName, having not being explicitly
declared in the markup. is not what is being selected, but a derived
inheritance, perhaps warranting a new function

4. getElementsByRelationship("foo:firstChild")

what this would mean, therefore is that

5. <div class="foo bar">

would be selected by example 1. whereas

6. <div class="foo"><div class="bar">

would be selected by example 3. specifically and example 4. if the
designer wanted to make assumptions about the resuting DOM

Ric