[whatwg] Sanctity of MIME types

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:36:43 -0500
On 12/6/06, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net> wrote:

> How was it fixed?

It was fixed in a way that covers mis-sniffed feed content
specifically. That is, content that was sniffed as a feed but isn't
one, like that Atom template or some FOAF files, are displayed
correctly. These are edge cases.

> Both so that Ian's eventual text can be consistent
> with the fix, and for my edification as I would love to be able to
> directly view my test cases again:

Your test cases are a different bug: "correctly" sniffed feeds that
you don't want sniffed. Unfortunately, I can't agree that the MIME
type "text/plain" carries as strong a message as it used to.

It would be possible to turn off sniffing for some 'text/plain' values
if there were a better indicator available. For example, by using a
new Content-Disposition value (web compatible because unknown values
are treated as 'inline').

--

Robert Sayre