[whatwg] foreign attributes Re: several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 5 d?c. 2006 ? 05:34, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
> >
> > The other issue, supporting other vocabularies in HTML5, is an open
> > issue, but it will be addressed in due course. We need more
> > implementation experience first, and there are far more pressing
> > problems.
>
> slightly related. What about foreign attributes. I haven't found in the
> document the handling rules for unknown attributes.
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

Bogus attributes end up in the DOM but have no other requirements on
processing, so, they are ignored. The spec covers this.

> A group with a need of specific attribute might want to add new
> attributes to Web Apps 1.0.
> - What are the extensions mechanims for this?

"class", "rel", and "profile" are the extension mechanism for HTML. For
examples of how this is used to great effect, see the Microformats.org
work, where entire vocabularies like vCard, iCalendar, etc, are embedded
into HTML documents using "class" and "rel". (This has the added advantage
of being a highly accessible extension mechanism, unlike most.)

Cheers,