[whatwg] markup as authored in practice

James Graham wrote:

> For example, the majority of people who are likely to want to
> publish mathematics on the web are professional scientists or engineers.
> However, in my experience, the fraction of such people who are competent
> to reliably produce valid XML is tiny[1].
> [1] See, for example
> http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000564.html for one of
> the few examples of where a scientist (who happens to also know an awful
> lot about markup) /has/ managed to work with XML, and to see just how
> far from "Hello world" it really is.

That's an interesting and useful story. Thanks for the link. However
what it describes is not close to hand authoring code. Instead, this
competent person is patching a specific blogging engine. That's a much
bigger task. However:

1. He is competent to do it.
2. It only has to be done once. Then it just works for everyone else.*

* Well at least it does if the main developers accept the patches back
into the trunk. It seems they haven't done that:

http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000865.html

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!