[whatwg] xml:lang and xmlns in HTML

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> I wonder if xml:lang and xmlns couldn't be made legal in HTML. xml:lang
> would simply become conformant in HTML as a synonym for the lang
> attribute, it's already in the spec that it should get the correct
> treatment anyway.

Except that wouldn't be backwards compatible since xml:lang="" isn't
treated as a language attribute in legacy UAs.

> This would make it possible to have documents conformant with both
> syntaxes at the same time.

I thought XHTML-sent-as-text/html had explained in painful detail why
that's not a desirable end goal. Why would we want this?

> This could also help reinforce the idea that it's the media type that
> differentiate HTML from XHTML. It'd make many valid XHTML1 documents out
> there conformant with HTML5 with a mere modification to the doctype.

Not if they use things like <![CDATA[...]]> or the empty element syntax on
non-void elements, or any number of other XMLisms.

> What do you think?

I don't think it's a goal for the two serialisations to have a common
subset.