[whatwg] Editorial: hyphenating start tag and end tag

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:00:54 -0500
The XML 1.0 and most related specifications use the hyphenated spellings
"start-tag" and "end-tag". The Web Apps 1.0 spec uses the unhyphenated
forms "start tag" and "end tag".

While I'm not sure there's a fundamental reason to prefer one form over
the other, the copy editor in me would prefer to be consistent with the
XML 1.0 spelling.

This hyphenated form has also been enshrined in the O'Reilly Default
Stylesheet and Word List
http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/author/stylesheet.html for the same
reasons, and is thus the preferred form in O'Reilly books.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!