From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:09:26 -0400
(Note that everything applying to normal lists in this message could
also apply to definition lists and tables.)

The ongoing thread about a global href attribute versus a block-level
<a> element made me think of a similar situation concerning <ins> and
<del>. How can we markup removed or inserted list items? Here's a
general idea:

     <ul>
     </ul>

But this is invalid. According to the spec the content model for <ul>
is "zero or more <li> elements".

Changing this to allow the above markup has consequences on the DOM:
for instance we could no longer iterate on the content of a list
element and expect to catch all of its list items. To avoid the
problem <ins> and <del> could be made global attributes as some have
suggested for href.

I'm not advocating any solution right now, but I think the spec
should be either changed to allow the above, or to add global
attributes, or be clarified to explicitly disallow <ins> and <del>
surrounding list items. Also, if links are to become applicable to
block-level elements, I suggest it follows the same model.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/