[whatwg] [WA1] The a element could be empty

On 9/4/05, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > Loads, IE, Mozilla Family, Opera and Safari perhaps being the
> > commonest - ie CSS can be disabled in all of them distinct from
> > disabling script.
>
>   You're not entirely correct about how these browsers support turning
> off CSS. IE actually doesn't support it.

There's lots of ways of disabling stylesheets in IE without a
universal user stylesheet, expressions, behaviours on
style/link/element etc.

> Mozilla Firefox allows you
> to turn off styling for the screen media, but not the print media.

I never realised FF was so flawed, thanks for correcting me.

>   Of course, I asked about browsers that don't SUPPORT both Javascript
> and CSS, not about browser that allow you to turn it off if you so desire.

I couldn't see the relevance of browsers which didn't support both, as
disabled CSS is equivalent for the purposes at discussion.

>   Wrong. CSS can't be disabled for Firefox.

Yes, but this is obviously a horrible bug, and will undoubtedly be
fixed in future options, CSS 1 strongly recommends that users be able
to disable stylesheets, why ignore a strong recommendation from the
specification?

Jim.