[whatwg] [WA1] The a element could be empty

On 9/3/05, Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > Not particularly wanting to support the OP's issue - I don't see a
> > problem with the change to the content model of a to require content,
> > it's a good thing.  However styling a link to print away is not a good
> > idea, as it means those without css get a link which does nothing,
>
>   Nothing in a print out does anything.

The relevance to the button doing nothing, is the button on the page
that if script is enabled and appropriate vendor API's are available
will print the document, so the the OP only adds the link once he
knows script and a window.print method are available, not after
printing.

>   How many user agents support Javascript but not CSS1? Does Lynx or
> some other text-mode browser support Javascript? I'll have to look into
> that...

Loads, IE, Mozilla Family, Opera and Safari perhaps being the
commonest - ie CSS can be disabled in all of them distinct from
disabling script.

>   Makes sense. Personally, I'm wondering why you want to print from a
> link at all unless you want to perform a special print operation.

Oh absolutely, it's silly (without having things like ScriptX to
provide real printing support in restricted environments) but you
can't hide scripted things via CSS, CSS and Script can be disabled
seperately in all modern browsers.

Cheers,

Jim.