[whatwg] [wf2] 2.3. Changes to existing controls

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Quoting Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>:
> > I don't understand any of the above. Could you explain it again? I really
> > don't know what you are trying to say.
>
> You should probably try harder ;-) Anyway, setting |value=""| on a form
> control should not result in the DOM attribute value being "on". It
> should result in it being "" and that should be submitted.

Ok. I agree with this. However, you go on to say:

> (Sections 2.3 and 2.4 have to be edited for this.)

I don't see anything in either 2.3 or 2.4 that contradicts what you said
above. This is why I was confused earlier, I guess. The bits you quoted in
your earlier mails agreed with what you were saying should happen, and
then you said they should change...

Are you confusing "value content attribute not specified" with the
unrelated "no value selected"?

I suppose the following sentence (in 2.4):

| For example, radio buttons often cannot be returned to their "no value
| selected" state.

...could be considered to be incorrect given that a radio button can be
checked even when its value is ""; is that what you are referring to?

> > > Let me quote:
> > >
> > > # Before the value of an attribute is passed to the application
> > > # or checked for validity, the XML processor MUST normalize the
> > > # attribute value by applying the algorithm below
> > >
> > > (Also, internal subsets are required to be supported by XML
> > > parsers.)
> >
> > I don't see how this contradicts what I wrote.
>
> It does not. Sorry about that. I just want to make it clear that XML has
> some stupid rules authors should be aware about when dealing with forms.
> This seemed like the most appropriate place to add the note.

I don't see how these rules will affect users unless they go out of their
way to make DTDs, in which case they deserve whatever they get.