[whatwg] Re: Web Forms 2.0

From: Ryan Cannon <ryan@ryancannon.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:21:17 -0400
Greetings,

In attempting to write a javascript implementation of Web Forms 2.0
attributes, I came across a stumbling block. At times, form
validation requires a "not pattern" result, i.e. if a certain pattern
matches the element value, the validation engine should return an
error. The best real-world example of this type of implementation
would be a form field with an initial value that must be changed in
order to be processed as valid.

I would suggest an attribute name notPattern, implemented as a
reverse of the pattern attribute.

e.g.:

<input type="text" required="required" notPattern="First Name\s*"
value="First Name" />

I hope it is not too late in this versions timeframe to bring such
functionality in, as it seems impossible right now.

--
Ryan Cannon

Wordslinger, Webwright
http://RyanCannon.com