[whatwg] A thought: <a href="..." method="post">

From: Michael Gratton <michael@quuxo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:12:04 +0930
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 16:47 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Of the various server-side frameworks available Java servlets are among
> the most cluefully designed when it comes to getting HTTP right. If a
> developer calls doPost from doGet, there is nothing the framework
> designer can do about it.

True. I am not bashing the Servlet API, I am just pointing out common
practise. The Struts framework, for example, is a very popular Java
framework built on the Servlet API but it calls the same processing
method for both GETs and POSTs. Very poor form.

Also, I think that because it uses same API to access parameters
specified by both GET and POST requests it tends to encourage this sort
of behaviour. But this is probably OT.

> I'm still -1 on changing the specs to accommodate people who have been
> ignoring RFC 2616.

Ditto.

> Usually the people who
> don't respect the idempotency of GETs also have crufty URLs with query
> strings so that a robot can apply heuristics to avoid query strings.

Which of course might punish sites (or users of sites) that have valid
uses for query strings.

/Mike.

--
Michael Gratton, Software Architect.