[whatwg] [wf2] Note about XML attribute value handling

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:50:26 +0200
Could we perhaps make a note about this in the WF2 specification:
  <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize>

Preferably somewhere close to <input type=hidden>. My weblog used to run
on XHTML and previewed weblog comments where stored inside the VALUE
attribute of a hiddenINPUT element (actually, that is still the case).
As XHTML means the above mentioned XML rule applies all formatting got
lost. That was a major problem for white-space significant replies.
(Replies using the PRE element.)

I think it might make sense for the specification to point that out. And
perhaps provide a way in a future update to the specification to have a
hidden TEXTAREA. (Such a TEXTAREA can be implemented now using:
<textarea style="display:none">foo</textarea>.)

There was a similar problem with the XHTML admin of Movable Type as
described here:
  <http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000564.html>

--
  Anne van Kesteren