[whatwg] Repetition Model

From: Dean Edwards <dean@edwards.name>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:53:54 +0000
Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
> Dean Edwards wrote:
>
>> Yes you would have to iterate over each element to attach the
>> repetition template interface. Olav Junker Kj?r provided a solution to
>> this speed this up a little:
>

> It should be said that the expression-based solution improves the
> initial rendering, but slows the page considerably afterwards, since the
> CSS expressions are recalculated continuously. The expression rules
> could be removed after initial rendering to improve performance, but
> then it wont work if the repeat attribute is added to an element
> dynamically. So its not the perfect solution.

I've been working on perfecting this technique. There is a way to
disable it once each element has been checked.

It is still an acceptable compromise to require the author to attach
this behavior.

tr.repeat {
     behavior: url(...);
}

bearing in mind the complexity of the repetition model, the author
should be able to manage the CSS quite easily...

-dean