[whatwg] [WF2] Objection to autocomplete Attribute

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:39:44 +1100
Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
> If I understand correctly, your objection against "autocomplete" is that
> it specifies UI behavior rather than semantic information about the data
> (like a "sensitiveinput" attribute would).

Yes, that and the fact that it provides control of a user agent feature
to an author which, as I stated in my initial post, is a user-hostile act.

Although sensitiveinput is a slightly more semantic name, the problem
with it is not only because it's not already supported; but because,
theoretically, any form with a password could be considered sensitive
input, which may result in many more authors making use of it believing
they are doing the right thing by adding more semantics, yet effectively
preventing password managers storing any passwords at the expense of the
user.

> This could easily be solved by keeping the name "autocomplete" but
> redefine its sematics as indicating that the input data is sensitive.

Redefining its semantics would be an improvement.  Although it's not an
ideal solution, it's one I may just have to accept.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/