[whatwg] Introducing new elements is expensive

From: Olav Junker Kjr <olav@olav.dk>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:32:27 +0100
Ian Hickson wrote:
> I would recommend that suggestions avoid new elements, especially when
> those elements have a lot of attributes, and especially when the element
> has semantics very similar to an existing element.

The "output" element in WF2 shouldn't really be a new element. The
semantics and interface are very similar to the input element
(especially a input type=text with readonly). I suggest changing
<output> to <input type=output>.
Only important difference is the fallback behavior. An <output> element
would not be submitted in a non-WF2 UA, an <input type=output> would,
since it would default to <input type=text>. This is not a big deal,
though, since we can just avoid giving the field a name attribute.

Regards
Olav Junker Kj?r