[whatwg] [html5] DI element

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:58:33 +0100
Introducing this element affects the content model of DL. There are
multiple options possible. Either you could permit DI as well. You could
require it, or have a mixed content model where you only allow the one
or the other depending on your needs.

Personally I would vote for requiring it. A simple example:

  <dl>
   <di>
    <dt>CSS
    <dd>Cascading Style Sheets
    <dd>Content Scrambling System
   </di>
   <di>
    <dt>etc
    <dd>et cetera
   </di>
  </dl>

The advantage of DI is that it allows grouping of definitions and
therefore takes away the importance of element order. It also has a
semantic advantage to group these elements. From a structural point of
view it is very difficult for current DL element constructs to see which
  (DT, DD) are bound together as a single entry.

(Styling is another advantage, but I shall refrain from using it as an
argument as one of the CSS WG members, who happens to be the editor of
this specification, thinks that should be solved in a future CSS 5
standard.)

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>