[whatwg] Context help in Web Forms

From: Derek Featherstone <feather@wats.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:00:48 -0400
On Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:52 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> Anyway, having the ability to add a help link in the body, with
>> particular context-sensitivity (as discussed for including a link
>> with rel="help" in a form control label) is probably sufficient.
>> I'll take that discussion back to W3C's Protocols and Formats group
>> (the part of WAI that deals with review of specifications to ensure
>> they enable accessibility) and see what they think...
>
> Great! Thanks. I think your idea of making rel="help" be
> relative to the
> nearest parent <label> is a good one. We could also say it is
> <fieldset>, or other such grouping element. I'll look at this in more
> detail when defining the rel="" values.

I've actually been thinking about that for a while - rather than leaving it
to a "guess" why not bind it specifically with something like an about
attribute that identifies the specific element/node it references?

 rel="help" about="#phone-number"

That would allow for much more flexibility and robustness wouldn't it?

Best regards,
Derek.
Derek Featherstone     feather at furtherahead.com
phone: 613.599.9784;   toll-free: 1.866.932.4878 (North America)
Web Development: http://www.furtherahead.com
Web Accessibility:  http://www.wats.ca
Personal: http://www.boxofchocolates.ca