[whatwg] Web Apps 1.0 - DataGrid

Hi,

Ben Meadowcroft wrote:

> This kind of presentational information would be best done using CSS and
> its "graceful" degradation (theory and practice may clash). Browsers that
> understand the rules can apply them while those that don't

I agree CSS is the best place for the presentational part of this
although it may be necessary to introduce new HTML to allow us to have
things to style. The actual CSS mechanism you gave as an example (with
columns in the head and body naturally the same width and the body
having and overflow set only works in very simple cases, if I
dynamically change the contents (and resize) a cell in the table body
then the columns will not line up with the head.

And once you start trying to keep columns as well as rows fixed then
a complete rethink of the approach is needed as the "static" cells
do need to scroll - just in one direction.

> CSS doesn't allow this level of control using column selectors
> unfortunately. See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/tables.html#q4 for what you
> can do.

I know that what I want to do is not currently possible in a simple
manner. I'm hoping that this new spec will change that situation, either
by extending thead/colgroup tags with new CSS or by introducing new tags
and classes or...

I'm sorry - I'm a little bit confused by your email, you eloquently show
how to do it in very simple cases using existing HTML/CSS but you say
that what I'm trying to do can't currently easily be done, but I know
this as otherwise I wouldn't be posting asking for the new spec to help.

Sorry if I missed your point entirely!

Jon.